GREENSBORO, N.C. — Strawberry Cream Cheese Layer Cake
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk room temperature
- 2 c. strawberries, washed. 1 c. chopped, 1/2 c. sliced, 1/2 c. left whole with stems removed
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1- 8oz block cream cheese
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 c. powdered sugar
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter sugar and vanilla. Cream until smooth.
- One at a time, and eggs until completely mixed.
- Add baking powder, and salt to cake flour. Stir well.
- Alternate adding dry mixture and milk into mixing bowl.
- Just using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl and mix again thoroughly.
- Pour cake mixture into well greased baking pans of your choice.
- Please cakes in oven and allow to bake until done.
- Once cakes are fully baked, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Place strawberry preserves in a small mixing bowl, microwave for 30 seconds until melted.
- Poke random holes in the top of each cake layer. Pour the melted preserves over the holes and smooth out.
- For the icing, and a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, shortening, and cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Add milk, a few drops at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add chopped strawberries to this mixture until smooth.
- Ice cake layers with strawberry icing. Decorate with slice and a whole strawberries. Enjoy!
Shrimp and Spinach Stuffed Salmon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. shredded Colby Jack
- 1/2 c. frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, shredded cheeses, spinach, garlic powder,and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, lightly sauté shrimp in a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Season each portion of salmon with salt and pepper, then slice and stuff with spinach mixture.
- Please 3 to 4 pieces of shrimp on top of spinach mixture.
- In a large skillet, add remaining olive oil and melt butter. Place salmon pieces skin side down and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn salmon pieces over and finish cooking for 3 to 4 minutes. Remember to baste salmon to prevent dryness.
- Remove from skillet and enjoy!