BURLINGTON, N.C. — Police said a man is in custody after setting multiple fires in Burlington.
Miguel Angel Gomez Amaya, 26, from Burlington, was arrested overnight Saturday. Amaya is charged with:
- 1 count of First-degree Arson
- 2 counts of Burning a Commercial Building
- 7 counts of Breaking and Entering
- 6 counts of Burning of Personal Property
The Burlington Fire Department said they responded to a fire at Enterprise Rent-A-Car on North Church Street around 2:40 a.m. Saturday.
The business had several small fires located inside the building.
There was no one in the building, and firefighters were able to get the fire under control within 25 minutes.
While firefighters were at the fire at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, additional vehicle fires were reported in the nearby area, as well as another building fire shortly after 6 a.m.
Burlington police said the fires were at these locations between 3 a.m. and shortly after 6 a.m. :
- N. Church Street and Bland Boulevard (Multiple Vehicle Fires)
- N. Church Street and Nike Street (Vehicle Fire)
- 300 block of Watson Street (Vehicle Fire)
- 2000 block of N. Church Street (behind DaVita North Burlington Dialysis)
Burlington police and Burlington fire said multiple agencies assisted them with these fires including:
- Office of the State Fire Marshall
- Alamance County EMS
- Alamance County Sheriff’s Department
- Faucette Township Fire Department
- Duke Energy
- Piedmont Natural Gas
Officers said the damage is still in the process of being calculated but at this time it is already estimated to be more than $200,000.
Amaya's bond is set at $500,000 and he has been taken to Alamance County Detention Center.
MORE WAYS TO GET WFMY NEWS 2
Subscribe to our daily newsletter Let’s Get 2 It!
ADD THE WFMY+ APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or search for WFMY.
Amazon Fire TV: Search for WFMY to find the free app to add to your account. You can also add the app directly to your Fire TV through your Amazon account.