GREENSBORO, N.C. — The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles is giving people more chances this spring to get their N.C. REAL IDs quicker.
REAL ID Express Days are coming soon to DMV offices across North Carolina, including Greensboro and Kernersville.
N.C. DMV says these Express Days have drawn more than 700 customers to offices in Fayetteville, Jacksonville, and Charlotte. N.C. DMV says in Charlotte, for instance, customers did not wait in line and their transactions were completed in 10 minutes.
The next set of REAL ID Express Days will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in select DMV offices on the following Saturdays:
- March 23 and April 13: Avent Ferry Shopping Center, 3231 Avent Ferry Road, Raleigh
- March 30: North Main Crossing, 801A North Main Street, Kernersville
- April 27: East Greensboro, 2527 East Market Street, Greensboro
- May 4: Hendersonville, 125 Baystone Drive, Hendersonville
During these REAL ID Express Days, you can convert your current driver license or ID cards to REAL IDs.
Anyone with an expiration date six months before the REAL ID date will be eligible to renew their license or ID card during their visit.
Duplicates and first time ID cards will also be available.
REAL IDs will also be available at the North Carolina Azalea Festival April 6-7 in Wilmington and the Got To Be NC Festival May 17-19 in Raleigh. The NC DMV will station mobile driver license units at both spring festivals.
Starting in October 2020, REAL IDs or valid U.S. passports will be required for flying, entering federal facilities and visiting military installations.
To get a REAL ID, you need the following documents (no photocopies):
- One (1) proof of identity/date of birth: certified birth certificate or unexpired U.S. passport
- One (1) proof of full Social Security Number: Social Security card, W-2 or 1099
- Two (2) proofs of current physical address: driver license, vehicle registration card, voter registration card, utility bill, cable bill, bank statement
- Proof of name change (if applicable): certified marriage license, divorce decree and/or court document indicating the name change (number of documents depend on number of name changes)