GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Bread, milk and other basic items went fast Tuesday night as people across the Triad prepared for the winter storm. Lines were long inside stores and outside at gas stations. Ice melt sold out at all Lowe's and Home Depot stores in Greensboro.
So, if you didn't make it out to stock up with winter weather gear, here are some ideas for you:
1) Need a shovel? Try using a broom to sweep snow out of the way. You can also use the dust pan to help scoop the snow. A bucket could work as well.
2) Forgot to get an ice scraper? Grab a kitchen spatula, but makes sure it's not metal. You can also try a credit card, maybe one you were thinking of getting rid of!
3) Didn't get any ice melt? Use leftover water softener. The salt in it helps breakdown any ice.
4) Looking for a sled? Breakdown a cardboard box and cover it with a trash bag. Use duct tape to secure the bag and you're set.
5) Got your car stuck in the snow? Try using sand, kitty litter, or even your car mats under your tires for traction.
6) Don't want the ice or snow on your car? Try putting old socks on your windshield wipers. You can also put large freezer ziplock bags over the side mirrors to keep snow and ice out, zip them as much as you can to lock out moisture. To protect your windshield lay down a rug, old piece of carpet or broken down cardboard box.
7) Snow always sticking to your shovel? Grab your nonstick cooking spray! Spray down the shovel to keep the snow from sticking.
Let us know some of your ideas using the #GotSnow!
Other Stories 2 Click On: