RALEIGH, NC -- Time is almost up for survivors of Hurricane Florence to register for federal disaster assistance. The current deadline to apply for help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or for low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
More than $1 billion in state and federal resources have already been approved to help North Carolinians hit hard by the storm. That includes FEMA grants to individuals and households, National Flood Insurance Program payments, SBA loans to homeowners, renters and business owners, and other assistance.
More North Carolinians could qualify for help, but they must apply with FEMA as a first step.
“Applying with FEMA is the key to getting help with short-term housing and long-term recovery,” Governor Roy Cooper said. “If you suffered from Florence and have waited to ask for help, don’t wait any longer. Sign up with FEMA today.”
Gov. Cooper continues to push for additional federal and state resources to help communities and families recover from Hurricane Florence, including working with the state’s congressional delegation to request $8.8 billion in federal funds to help with housing, farms, businesses, roads and more.
Individuals and businesses with uninsured losses can register with FEMA in several ways:
- Call the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY) from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Multilingual operators are available.
- Go online to DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Download the FEMA mobile app.
- Visit a Disaster Recovery Center. To find center locations and hours, go online to FEMA.gov/DRC, or download the FEMA mobile app or the ReadyNC app.
People who register with FEMA may be eligible for a number of assistance programs:
- Individual Assistance – Helps pay for losses not covered by insurance for things like basic repairs, rental assistance and replacing personal property.
- Housing Help - Includes temporary housing in hotels, apartments, travel trailers and manufactured housing.
- Low Interest Loans - The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low interest loans to homeowners, renters and businesses.
For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence, visit ncdps.gov/Florence and FEMA.gov/Disaster/4393. Follow us on Twitter: @NCEmergency and @FEMARegion4.