Breaking News
More () »

Man, woman dead, 3 police officers shot, after standoff in High Point

High Point police held a press conference after 3 police officers were shot during a standoff situation with a barricaded man on West English Road Friday morning.

HIGH POINT, N.C. — An hours-long standoff in High Point came to an end after three officers were shot early Friday morning, according to police. High Point police held a press briefing Friday afternoon. 

According to High Point police, Josue Drumond-Cruz, 34, is now dead after a standoff with police that lasted more than 11 hours.

Investigators shared details on Drumond-Cruz and more about the shooting at Friday's briefing.

Shortly before the standoff ended, our photojournalist captured video with sounds of loud bangs.

"In the last hour or so there were flashbangs and additional gunfire as well,” High Point Police Lt. Matt Truitt said. 

It all started late Thursday night. Police said an officer was alone on a routine patrol and heard gunshots. After investigating, the officer learned the shots were coming from a house in the 2900 block of West English Road.  

When the officer arrived, he found Drumond-Cruz sitting on the front porch. Drumond-Cruz went back inside after seeing the officer.

Police said Drumond-Cruz was seen in the home with a rifle.

High Point police described the gun Drumond-Cruz was holding as an AR-15.

Additional law enforcement agencies rushed to the scene, surrounded the home, and urged Drumond-Cruz to come out peacefully. 

A spokesperson with High Point police said officers found a woman dead at the home on West English Road Friday afternoon. Police said two children, aged 12 and 14, were in the home also.

Lt. Truitt said Drumond-Cruz remained barricaded and started shooting at officers around 3 a.m., hitting three of them. Police said the man continued firing rounds for the next two hours. 

Truitt said the officers were taken to High Point Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. One of them underwent surgery Friday morning and "is doing well."

"All three of our officers are doing great,” Truitt said.

The three officers are all a part of the tactical team. 

"One had a gunshot wound to the hand, one had a gunshot wound to the left shoulder, arm area and one had a gunshot wound to the left leg."

The surgery was performed on the officer who had the leg injury.

Shortly before 11 a.m., Truitt confirmed the standoff had ended. The standoff concluded when a Greensboro Police Officer fired at the suspect.

"When they went in and cleared the house we found our offender dead," interim Police Chief Travis Stroud said. "We also found a female deceased, the circumstances of that are unknown. The two children in the house were located safely and removed them from scene and taken to the hospital for triage, right now they're at the Family Justice Center."

When asked how the officers involved were doing emotionally, Truitt said:

“In times like this, sometimes you scratch your head, 'Why am I doing this job?' This is why we’re doing the job. It’s a difficult call, one you never want to receive, but that is the nature of this business it’s never an easy call and you have to work through it.”

Chief Stroud added to the emotional toll. 

"I’ve been here 26 years and I can assure you this has not happened, this is probably the worst phone call and the most stressful day I’ve ever had in the history of this police department," he stated. "A man tried to kill three of our officers, murder them this morning and unsuccessfully thank goodness."

Guilford County Sheriff's Office and Greensboro Police Department were called in for assistance. 

Police have yet to determine a motive. The SBI is investigating.

Before You Leave, Check This Out